Sunday, January 9, 2022

Shopping 2022- week 1

One of the things that surprised us when we moved to Kansas from NY seven years ago was that in Kansas you pay taxes on food. So this year along with keeping track on how much we spend on food, I am also going to track how much tax we pay on groceries over the course of the year. 

I am considering the shopping I did on 12/30/2020 as part of this year's food budget since I would have done this big shop on 1/1. Except we were getting a winter storm and I would much rather shop on a 40 degree day then a 0 degree day. 

This time around the big budget items were ground beef, chicken, and canned chicken as I had been working our way through the freezers for the last 2 month trying to use up what we had. 

I am trying to keep to the actual food budget this year 440 a month ( 40 is for taxes) , so I will be bringing back using a price book. A price book is a way of keeping track of what you pay for food over the course of time, so you know when you are getting a good price and should stock up. Most stores run sales on items like meat and cheese every 6 to 8 weeks. 

This week I went to Sam's Club, Aldi's, 88 International ( one of our local international stores) and Hy-Vee. The hardest item to find this time around was cabbage of all things, finally found some at Hy-Vee and they only had 4 heads of the organic kind. 

The special request items for this shopping trip were ice cream and spaghettios, and I was able to get both of these items.



I spent : Alidi's 104.71 ( 8.73)
              Sam's Club 237.12 ( 19.78)
              Hy-Vee 13.80 ( 1.20)
              International Market 19.80 ( 1.81) 

Total - 375.43 ( 31.52)




I did a second shop this week to get Milk, Bread, Eggs, Banana's and soda and more ice cream for family game night. 

                Walmart : 38.77 (3.48)

Weekly Total- 414.20 ( 35)  

As of today I have already spent the money budgeted for the whole month of January for food. I will likely have at least one more big shop this month. So I am just going to hope that it balances out by the end of the year. But then I haven't actually spent any of 2022 food budget yet, as the funds for January have yet to be deposited into my grocery account. I used Decembers food budget for the shopping listed above. 







No comments:

Post a Comment