Wednesday, November 30, 2005

POP! Ssssss... What's that noise?

Hi.  This is the Eagle's Nest Dad again.


 


I had several days off to enjoy with the family a couple of weeks ago during Veteran's Day weekend.  That was fun.  I spent most of my time fixing things that had broken while I have been away.  My wife had also managed to drive around everywhere with the van tires having on 18 PSI in the tires.  For those that may not know, they should have 36 PSI.  They looked virtually flat!


Being the good husband, I put 36 PSI of air in the tires.  Unfortunately, the damage had already been done.  The sidewalls were worn and on my may home that afternoon, I had a blowout of a rear tire.  As with most minivans, the spare tire mounted underneath would not come loose.  We needed the tow truck to come and get the tire off and change it.  If you thought that's nothing, you're right!  The next day after church (I was in my dress blues), I was taking the family to Pizza Hut for lunch and POP!  The other rear tire blew out!  I happen to pull over in front of a guy's house (His name is Ernie) who happen to have a manual tire changer a friend of his gave him a couple of years ago.  He saw my van in front of his house with all of us in it when he came home from church.  I had just called a friend of ours to come and get my wife and the two youngest children.  Remember, the spare was already on the van.


 


Our friend (Steve) came and got my wife and took her home.  She came back with our extra tires from the garage and Ernie changed the tires on the rims.  Both Ernie and Steve helped us with the tire change (It is pretty difficult to try and change a tire in a dress uniform and try not to get it dirty.


 


Our winter tires arrived the next day in the mail that I ordered the previous week.  Mounted and balanced.  I left to go back to my base and my wife took the van to have the new tires put on.


 


The Lord works in mysterious ways.  The first blowout came near enough to my house that I made it home as the tire went flat and the second near a guy who had a tire changer when in the country, most places are closed on Sundays.  Then the new tires for winter showed up the next day.


 


However, come this spring, it looks like I'll be buying new tires.

1 comment:

  1. I have really enjoyed reading your blog! Sounds like never a dull moment at your house, from flat tires to nephews falling out of trees! ack! =o)

    Your VBS looks like a *lot* of fun....I can only imagine how tough it is Margie to be raising your brood when you Dh is away. My own Dh works out of state so is only home for 1 week out of 4-5...so I can sort of relate.

    God bless your family!

    ReplyDelete