I know you are thinking that the store is just down the street, my husband can pick up what ever I need on the way home, pantries are so old fashioned we don't need them in todays world. And I am sure there are plenty of other reasons people feel that you don't need a pantry.
Well I am going to give you some reasons why you should have one, and later tell you how to build one up.
1. Getting the most for your dollar- Yes the store is just down the street, but you may not be getting the best price for the item you are buying, plus most people and yes I am one of them never seem to leave the store with just what I went in there for. Plus if you buy food in season it is cheaper.
2. Weather - out here it is mostly snow and there are weeks that it might be pay day and therefore shopping day but due to the weather I can't leave the house safely for a few days. And one year in the summer there was a flood, one that we were not expecting to happen to the level that it did. And it happened the night before shopping day, if I didn't have a pantry we would have been trouble.
3. To serve others- yes a pantry helps you to serve others, when the neighbor calls asking for something you can say yes I have that, when the church calls and asks you to make something for a dinner you can say sure no problem, when the boy scout comes to the door collecting food for the local pantry you can say here.
4. Illness- you never know when it is going to happen, and if you have a well stocked pantry you can better care for the ill ones, or if mom is ill the family is going to have something to eat. Plus if you find out others are ill, you have on hand the food to make them a meal.
5. Budget- When your husband comes to you and says dear we need to cut the budget somewhere for the next two months due to extra bills, car repairs, etc. You can say no problem dear, and eat mostly out of the pantry for the lean times, restocking in the times of plenty.